A few announcements first:
1. The print lab is looking for some student work to hang up! We'd like to showcase all aspects of animation, like 2D, 3D, character designs, storyboards, models, etc. So if you'd like to submit some work, please let one of the leaders know! It would be a really cool opportunity.
2. We want to go to the Zoo sometime in October! We need to work out a date and time that works best for the most people, so think about your upcoming availability, and we'll provide a list at next week's meeting.
3. If you'd like your blog, website, or demo reel linked on our sidebar, let one of the leaders know! We'll add it immediately; It's VERY good exposure to get your blog up here and good motivation to start getting your work online! Do it!
4. Chris Oatley, a CCAD alum who worked at DisneyToon Studios and runs the PaperWings Podcast, is going to be doing a Skype call with us at the October 5 meeting! This is a HUGE deal and an awesome opportunity. Please prepare QUESTIONS and do RESEARCH ahead of time; we want to get the most out of this amazing guest lecture as we can! :)
Finally, we moved onto our main event! WELCOME TO THE LABS AT CCAD!
Bethany made a poster for the event depicting us lovely leaders showcasing our beautiful labs! :D
Here are some of the main programs we discussed:
Storyboard Pro is used to create storyboards that can be printed.
3ds Max is a modeling, animation and rendering package.
Illustrator is a vector based illustration and graphics editing program
InDesign is used to create works such as posters, flyers, brochures, magazines, newspapers and books.
After Effects is a digital motion graphics and compositing software.
Flash is a multimedia platform used to create animation, video, and interactivity products.
3D animation package.
utilizing visual editors and a behavior-based logic system.
is a stand alone tracking and roto software designed to complement any compositing and finishing environment.
is a programming language that makes it easy to create your own interactive stories, animations, games, music, and art.
THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- As a student, you can get ANY Autodesk product FREE for three years! Sign up here where it says "Students" then "Download Software" and if you need help, ask a leader, or another Collective member! :)
- DigitalTutors and Lynda.com are INCREDIBLE resources full of TONS of tutorials. If you need help with any of the above programs, or aren't sure where to start, THESE WEBSITES ARE THE PLACE TO GO! As a student at CCAD, you can sign up for a free account! Look at this post for step by step instructions!
- We made (2) handouts on Friday; one is a map of the labs, that indicates which rooms have which programs. The other is an incredibly valuable set of notes by Charlotte Belland, our wonderful Chair of the Animation department. These notes were taken during SIGGRAPH this year, and are GREAT pointers on how to prep your portfolio!
If you would like either of these handouts, please let a leader know! We'll get you a physical or digital copy, depending on your preference. :)
See you next week for our WELCOME TO THE INDUSTRY meeting, where we'll be talking about all of the available jobs and careers in the animation industry. It's not to be missed!